35 Of The Best Dessert Recipes Of All Time

by - 14:50


35 Of The Best Dessert Recipes Of All Time


When it comes to dessert, the HuffPost Taste editors have got you covered. Between chocolate brownies, homemade ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, layer cakes and fruit pies, we got dessert on our minds all day long. (And this is not an overstatement.) You could even say that we’re somewhat of experts when it comes to all things sugar ― at least in terms of knowing the best recipes. And so, we thought it only fair to take our dessert knowledge and share it with you.

We’ve put together a collection of the 35 best dessert recipes you can find across all of our favorite food blogs. We’re warning you: these desserts are epic. You will not be able to resist them. So click through the slideshow below, and be prepared to get baking




Just so we’re clear, s’mores jar cakes have buttery graham crusts covered with fluffy double chocolate chip cake and pillowy marshmallow toppings that are so perfectly browned and bubbly you can taste the campfire and smell the midnight July breeze.

Need more convincing? I think not. 










Being a Californian means you get really spoiled when it comes to the abundance of amazing fruits offered here year round.  When I'm hankering for something citrus-y I love to make meyer lemon bars.  Lucky for me both of my brothers and my parents have meyer lemon trees on their property that are never in want of fruit.    Buttery, crisp shortbread topped with refreshing and subtly-sweet curd filling....absolutely delicious!










Summer’s over and so is the photography portion of the cookbook project I spent my weekends on. I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate 1) completing the work, 2) the unofficial start of fall and 3) football season than with a big pot of beef & lamb chili and an over-the-top dessert. It’s a retread of the Vanilla Roasted Pears with Amaretto Mascarpone I made earlier in the year, but made this time with the courage of my convictions. And let me tell you, espresso cream is in no way a bad (or overpowering) thing.











For this year’s dessert, we ordered Passion-fruit Pot de Creme. The vibrant tartness of passion-fruit balanced perfectly with the sweet cream. Normally, I wouldn’t associate Provence with passion fruit, but it worked.










I love the chocolate-mint combo. I will have anything chocmint! From milkshakes to peppermint crisp! Yum! I really enjoyed the recent St Patricks day celebrations! Although we don't celebrate it here, I was so inspired by all the mint goodies! So thanks everyone for sharing them! After spending hours gazing at all those minty treats, I was craving something minty - and quick!










Most beautiful caramel chocolate tart you will ever see and hopefully taste it is easy to make and tastes amazing 









Going from the bottom up you’ll find a chocolate chip cookie dough crust that’s been layered with a heavy bricking of 5 king size packages of Butterfinger.  To add some soft creaminess against the Butterfinger crunch and ease the sweetness is a layer of cheesecake. Finishing things off is a crumbled sprinkling of more cookie dough and a fistful mini chocolate chips.








8. Sugar Plums And Currant Tart


I love this really crumbly red velvet apricot and hazelnut tart from my recipe book. Tender with a buttery and slightly salty hazelnut crust. I had that recipe on my mind when I worked on this one.

A simple dough that only requires a bowl to mix and your fingers to press the pastry into the tart pan. I reserved part of the dough to use as a crumb topping, which worked very well.







Citrus in winter is the perfect pick-me-up to take the chill off of those cold days. Pair it with chocolate and those winter days go straight to the top of my happy list. One of my favorite citrus treats are the skinny chocolate and orange jelly sticks, the perfect union of rich chocolate and sweet, tangy oranges.







10. Butterscotch Peanut Butter Cake


I really just had a craving and this was the result.  I am not sure if it sounds good to anyone else.  And that’s OK, as long as you don’t make fun of me while I am stuffing my face with it.


I made a peanut butter cake.  Then I made a butterscotch sauce infused with peanut butter.  Then I busted out a can of marshmallow fluff.

Ready for the details?

<<<<< Continue Reading >>>>>








Chocolate chip cookies may just be my favorite dessert of all.  They are so classic, comforting…they are the thing I crave.  For me after the kids are finally in bed, my happy place is on the couch with a cookie, small glass of milk and a good book.  Normally this is a classic that, in my opinion, needs no improving.  But…it’s just so hard to argue against brown butter, Nutella and a sprinkling of sea salt.  I mean, really.








If you've never tried Pavlova before you might be curious what it tastes like. It's a meringue dessert, so it's crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. It reminds me of what I'd imagine a baked marshmallow to taste like. And Pavlova is usually served with whipped cream and berries. I decided to skip the whipped cream (but feel free to add it in if you want) and make a quick blueberry jam to top these. 









13. Butterscotch Cashew Bars

I was recently lucky enough to be offered an advance copy of The Sweet Melissa Baking Book. The book’s author is Melissa Murphy, the chef and owner of Sweet Melissa Patisserie in Brooklyn, New York.


<<<<< Continue Reading >>>>>








Take all the Christmas sparkles. The expensive, the cheap and the so and so gifts. The festive songs that echoes everywhere. The at least apparent and always delusional consumerist joy. Now mix it all up and pull away, like someone seeing from above. Just like an anonymous observer watching the back and forth of people down the street. In the end, when you consciously squeeze all faces of the modern essence of Christmas, what remains is only people. The ones that matter and care. And the good excuse that brings them together again, around the good food, the good wine, the many stories shared.







For those who are raised in the south, banana pudding is a staple dessert item.  However, for this midwestern girl, banana pudding is something I had never even heard of until just a couple of years ago thanks to the wonderful world of food blogs.  And when I did finally learn of it, I was surprised that it was not banana-flavored pudding, but rather vanilla pudding layered with sliced bananas and vanilla wafers.  That little detail sort of turned me off to the concept for a while but then, just as with banana cream pie, I realized I could add banana flavoring. 







It’s been WAY too long since I’ve posted a Nutella recipe. I know did you just gasp? Don’t worry we’re still eating our fair share. Okay who am I kidding, we’re eating several families fair shares. I was craving something sweet and didn’t want to wait for a traditional cake to bake so we whipped up these almost no bake Nutella mascarpone tarts. Best part, you can be diving into this deliciousness in less than 30 minutes.







17. Mint Oreo Cake


Two layers of devil's food cake sandwiched together with minty cream cheese frosting and crushed mint Oreos, smothered in more mint frosting and covered in cake balls and mint Oreos. HELLO.

I made it for Bellie's 11th birthday, which brought with it a new member of the family.


<<<<< Continue Reading >>>>>









After making Homemade Ladyfingers, you had to know this was coming, right?  Here it is guys…  I bring you  Tiramisù.  Let me clarify, this is Healthy Tiramisù!








I spent 21 minutes contemplating the idea that if I licked this whisk and it’s three accompanying spatulas completely clean, I mean like COMPLETELY CLEAN… just exactly how sick could I get? Would the sickness be worth it? If I took my last breath slurping fluffy meringue and choked on raw egg whites, vanilla and sugar, would it be my IDEAL – like, total ideal – way to go?









As you've probably know, I am a big fan of Pierre Herme's lemon cream and I had been thinking of making the passion fruit version of that. Passion fruit is probably my favorite tropical fruit (same level as mango), something about the bright taste just reminds me of sun in tropical paradise. Anyways, so I was trying to use up some of the ingredients in my freezer (which I still need to do) before I left for months, and I found tart dough sitting in the back of my freezer. I thought this was perfect to make the passion fruit tart I've been wanting to make.









Sometimes I feel like I spend way too much time sitting in front of my computer, staring at the screen for hours upon hours each day.  Sure, much of it is productive and necessary – editing photos, writing blog posts, responding to emails, etc but there’s a segment (ok, a big segment) that’s mostly just for fun.  Twitter falls squarely in that category.  On more than one occasion I’ve thought about stepping away since it can be such a huge distraction, but I always find a reason to stick around.










Honestly, I’ve been wanting to make cannolis for some time now and bought the forms a year ago, but never got around to it because they seem too labor intensive. I also don’t like frying anything because I don’t really have the right tools to do it. But then I got the idea of using wontons after I had some left over from another meal. I gave it a go and love it.









Morgan is a mint-and-chocolate fanatic, and I felt it only fitting to make something she'd love for this post.  Dark chocolate joconde sponge cake is filled to the brim with mint-white chocolate mousse; a true mint-lover's nirvana!








I started going through my cookbooks, I had already decided to make a cake, but I wanted it to be a little different (for me at least).  I finally found my inspiration In Baking by James Peterson .  Not a particular recipe but a mixture of a few recipes, adjusted and combined to make my Ultimate Pomegranate Mousse Cake!









25. Aunt Sonja’s Cherry Squares


There are some recipes you can't remember tasting for the first time because they have always been in your life. This is one of those for me. I just remember eating them growing up, and loving them immensely. I've already confessed my love for cherry pie filling, so maybe that plays into it. But, I don't know, it feels like more than that.



<<<<< Continue Reading >>>>>





This creamy no-bake Snickers cake is stacked with creamy layers of homemade chocolate and peanut butter pudding along with some graham crackers softened to a cake like texture. Draping the mad goodness of the creamy layers is a heavy pouring of caramel and chocolate ganache sauce. Of course I can never just stop at good enough, I had to take it over the top and chop up some Snickers for added authenticity and then finish that off with some caramel and chocolate drizzle.








Eating one of these cheesecakes is going to help your eyesight and maybe even prevent you from getting a cold or the flu this season. Dude, I don’t even want to KNOW what will happen if you eat more than one of these cheesecakes. It might be like taking a sip from the fountain of youth.








28. Strawberry, Currant And Mint Tart With Mascarpone


Although I'm not the biggest warm weather fan, there's something romantic about Summer.  You can ride bikes like you're in a Godard film or picnic luxuriously in the park.  When you have beautiful days like this one, it makes you forget about the downsides like mosquito bites and 100% humidity.  Right now, I love summer food and festivities.  So, I had a picnic in the park with great friends, wine and weather:


<<<<< Continue Reading >>>>>








As much as I enjoy passionfruit, I left some lemon juice in this recipe as I really love it's in-your-face tartness. You should of course feel free to use all passionfruit pulp or even all lemon juice instead. As you might've guessed by now, I like my bars on the tart side, so feel free to be a little more generous with the sugar if you've got a bigger sweet tooth than me 







30. Chocolate Espresso Bundt Cake With Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Glaze

Well, the birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and Easter is just days away, so I really don’t have a reasonable explanation as to why I would feel the need to create such a dark and intense dessert followed by moody and borderline-ominous photos.  The thing is, that just seems to be my frame of mind these days: well, not moody and ominous, but dark, rich, and chocolate-loving. In this case, my inspiration for the flavours of the cake came solely from a jar of dark chocolate covered espresso beans (the ones in the photos) that I bought a few weeks ago because, well, as you may have guessed if you follow my tweets on twitter, that I am often yearning for good coffee, chocolate, and caffeine in general. 


<<<<< Continue Reading >>>>>








One of my grandmother's favorite desserts is pineapple upside down cake. There are a few foods that remind me of my grandmother: pop overs, chocolate-covered cherries, decaf coffee and pineapple upside cake. If you can't tell from that list of favorite foods, my grandma is awesome. She's got classic tastes.









Every summer, I am overwhelmed by the abundance of gorgeous fresh berries and fruits that are only around for such a short time each year (at least here in Indiana).  I work hard to take full advantage of their presence, and for me that usually means making a pie with every single one of them.  But of course, this always leads to the internal debate of exactly which fruit pie is my favorite and my mind begins to overheat (basically exactly like Joey in this scene from Friends.)  Blueberry is my number one but when it comes to second place, the “peach…no, cherry…no, peach….no, cherry” dialogue goes on and on.







I wouldn't call myself a pudding connoisseur. My experience with pudding falls somewhere in between Jello and Magic Moments. I know what I like, chocolate before caramel then vanilla, this is to be true. There have been a few times where I've left the house in a panicked flurry only to realize that I'd forgotten a spoon. It was on those days where I sucked up my pride, swallowed my proper British roots, and ate my pudding with my finger. In the corner. So no one could see.









Lets begin with why you should make these lemon sandwich cookies: The cookies themselves are soft and crumbly, the flavor is lemony but not tart, its sweetness is refined not over the top and the filling is a lemon cream cheese frosting that adds a rich creaminess to the ensemble to tie it altogether.








Another spring, another rhubarb recipe. Every March I see the little red shoots poking through the dead leaves and I get a bit excited knowing that winter is finally on its way out. It’s a sign of hope, and a promise of all the other fresh produce that’s to come.










LIKE or SHARE ; )

You May Also Like

0 comments