Easy Cherry Turnovers with Puff Pastry

by - 10:16


I have never made turnovers of any kind before. I always thought they sounded a little intimidating. I finally decided to buck up and give them a try. I opted for cherry turnovers because we had cherry pie filling on hand. And because Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and I’m in the mood for all things red and pink. 😉



I am kicking myself for not attempting  turnovers before. They were one of the easiest treats I’ve made in a long time! No joke. Just cut the dough, spoon in some filling, bake, and glaze.



And then bite into a little flaky piece of absolute deliciousness. I used a cream cheese glaze on my turnovers, and it made them over the top yummy. Better than any pastry I’ve had from a bakery. And I whipped them up in minutes. That my friends is the sign of a successful recipe! I hope you’ll give these turnovers a try. Don’t be scared. You can do it!




Easy Cherry Turnovers

Yield: 9 turnovers

Ingredients

1 17oz. package of Puff Pastry, thawed (I used Pepperidge Farms)
1 can of cherry pie filling
Milk and sugar for tops of turnovers
Cream Cheese Glaze
2 oz cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp soft butter
1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
Milk as needed



Instructions

Turnovers: Unfold one of the squares of puff pastry dough. Cut down the fold lines to make three strips. (I used a pizza cutter.) Then cut each strip into thirds. You should have nine squares total. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place on square of dough on the parchment, and spoon about a tablespoon of pie filling in the middle Pull up the corners of the dough and pinch together at the top. It's OK if the filling is still showing on the sides. Repeat for the remaining squares. 

Brush the tops of the pastries with milk, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 15-20 minutes, or till golden brown.

Repeat the process for the second sheet of puff pastry. After the turnovers have cooled slightly, drizzle them with cream cheese glaze. Enjoy!

Glaze: Beat cream cheese and butter till smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk to achieve a drizzle-able consistency. Drizzle over cherry turnovers.



Notes


-Phyllo dough cannot be used in place of puff pastry. One reader tried and let me know that the results were not good. 🙁






LIKE and SHARE

You May Also Like

0 comments