Roasted Barbecue-Spiced Potato Wedges with Lemon-Herb Cashew Sour Cream Dip

by - nedjelja, veljače 25, 2018




I was trying to squeeze the last bits of daylight into my photos, taking pictures on the back patio.  It was close to sunset, and the dusky blue light sat cool and muted on my (finally) ready to photograph potato wedges.  I briefly glanced up and looked toward the back of the yard, near my garden.  The choir in my mind sang a glorious major chord as I saw honey-colored beams peeking over the fence, bathing the far half of the yard in a deliciously warm glow.  Oh brother.  I knew what I had to do.  One large wooden photo background, a cutting board filled with herbs in progress, bowls, measuring spoons, and the like, all needed to make it, stat, to the other side of the yard.  The neighbors probably question my sanity.  In my twenties, I cared about this a bit, but not so much anymore.  I’m beginning to understand the reason for the sequined hats and carefree attitudes of those twice as old as me–at a certain point, one just can’t take as much time to care about appearing foolish when it is magic is happening on the other side of the yard!  I balanced all my props, food and accoutrements on my photo background and carried them topsy turvy style to the prime location.




Liz Gilbert, although I was already well on my way to the deep end, this is partly your fault.  You wrote a little book about creativity and inspiration called Big Magic that has only served to amplify my spontaneous and wild creative urges.  I heard your voice in my head saying,  “If inspiration is calling from the other side of the yard, get thee to the other side of the yard!”  When seduced by inspiration, I create big messes, almost unknowingly and frenetically.  When I wake up from my altered state, I see my creation, and all the creative shrapnel, and almost don’t know what happened.




In my last post, I shared a recipe for the Lemon-Herb Cashew Sour Cream Dip I’m utterly addicted to.  I love to dollop this dip on everything– breakfast hashes, crackers, veggies, and even eat it by the spoonful (don’t judge me!).  I must make a confession.  I’ve been withholding the recipe that this dip was created for–these Roasted Barbecue potato wedges.  I love this dip so much on its own that I thought it deserved its very own post. 




These spiced potato wedges come together very easily, and make a great side or party appetizer.  I love the combination garlicky, smoky wedges with the cool herby dip.  Do you have smoked paprika in your spice cabinet?  I love to add it into my spice mixture for anything I want to add a savory smokiness to–veggie crumbles for taco meat, corn on the cob, pan fried tempeh, and many other things.




It might be inconvenient at times, but I believe it’s infinitely worth it to say yes to the magically golden light on the other side of the yard, yes to the frenetic messes that appear as a side effect of creative reverie, yes to deciding to photograph a recipe at 6 pm when daylight hours are melting away, yes, yes, yes to the cheap little thrills that make life more colorful and exciting, and by all means, yes to roasty potato wedges with dip!





Roasted Barbecue-Spiced Potato Wedges with Lemon-Herb Cashew Sour Cream Dip


INGREDIENTS


2 pounds medium yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Lemon-Herb Cashew Sour Cream Dip for serving (optional), recipe here



PREPARATION


Preheat oven to 425˚.

On a baking sheet, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, spices, salt and pepper.  Arrange in a single layer.

Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the bottoms of the potatoes are golden and crispy.  Use a stiff spatula to pop the potatoes off the pan using a firm scraping motion.  Serve while hot with the dip.



NUTRITION INFORMATION

Serving Size: 1 (105 g)      Servings Per Recipe: 4

Calories 124.8    Calories from Fat 53 43%    Total Fat 6 g 9%    Saturated Fat 3.4 g 16%    Cholesterol 14.9 mg 4%    Sodium 37.6 mg 1%    Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g 5%    Dietary Fiber 1.6 g 6%    Sugars 1.9 g 7%    Protein 2.1 g 4%


LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

You May Also Like

0 comments